Thursday, May 13, 2010

~Georgia's Chair~


 When my niece comes over she always requests "Georgia's chair" to sit on while eating her snack of crackers that are given to her surreptitiously by her Auntie Barbara ( shhh....don't tell my sister). The chair is a booster chair that we purchased from Ikea about 11 years ago when my son decided that he was Houdini and would slip out of his high chair to sit on a "big" chair. I stumbled across this mini chair at Ikea and for only $19.99, it made its way into our home. It was used by him as a booster chair then desk chair until recently when I realized that being almost 12, uhmm... he is a bit too big. (Hard to realize the baby is growing up) 

Last week armed with spray paint I decided to give the chair a face lift. Using a can of black semi-gloss Rustoleum paint I gave the chair the lift it needed. After seeing monogrammed pillows, dressers and chairs with numbers all over blog land and in magazines, I decided to monogram the chair with a "G". My niece, Georgia, who I think is very bright for a 2 1/2 year old,  loves to point out letters and say words associated with that letter, such as G for Georgia.

 How perfect! 


Now she has her very own chair with a G. It also helps that her sister, who is only 6 months, is named Gabriella and can use the chair when she is old enough.

Before:


After:



The how-to:

1. First you choose the desired font and enlarge it. I chose Modern No. 20 and enlarged it to 600.
2. Next you print it out.


3. Cut it out and place on chair in desired location.


4. Using a pencil outline the letter pressing down in order to leave an imprint on the chair.


5. Outline the imprint with pencil.


6. Using acrylic paints and a rounded and square tip paint brush, fill in the outline. I had to paint several coats to get the depth I wanted.




7. Seal seat with a satin varnish, a step I still need to do. My varethane dried out so I need to buy some wipe-on poly.





Now I need to have my sister over for lunch so Georgia can sit on her chair!


Linking to: 

No comments:

Post a Comment