Friday, October 7, 2011

Then & Now : My 2nd Blog Birthday




Yes, today is my blog's 2nd birthday!
Hard to believe I have been at it for 2 years. I had no clue what I was doing, and what doors would open.

Warning: Word heavy post.

Two years ago I was bored and unemployed. I guess, being a stay-at-home mom isn't unemployed but with kids at school full time, not much happening at home during the day, I was bored.

We had been back in Canada for a year and I wasn't having any luck getting hired on as a teacher. While browsing the internet, I googled looking for a design project ideas and I stumbled across The Nesting Place, which, then through links I came across The Little Green Notebook and Isabella and Max's Room. Wow - there were moms at home, writing about what I was passionate about - design!

Without giving it too much thought, I excitedly decided to do the same. Maybe I could inspire others with my frugal approach to design! I was glum about renting but if I could document how I turned this blah rental into a fabulous home, I would have something to do! So onto Blogger I went, set up a blog, quickly came up with a name {which I wish I had given more thought to!} and wrote my first post {don't ask me where the photos went}!

Flash forward 2 years. 

I had no idea how much this blog would mean to me, who I would meet and what opportunities would come my way.

 I never imagined that I would meet fabulous local bloggers and from afar who I could call good friends.

{Me, "working" it...}

I never imagined that  projects would be featured on other blogs and websites!


I never imagined that I would get to interview fabulous and famous people for my blog!


I never imagined having the opportunity to dialogue with major design magazines and companies. 

I never imagined I would be an co-organizer of a fabulous blogging event we aptly called Blend 2011: A fusion of social media and design, and I would get to work alongside Ikea Canada to put on our soiree.


I never imagined that I would get to meet the editor-in-chief, Suzanne Dimma, of one of my absolute favourite magazines, Canadian House and Home {one I have been subscribing to since it's beginning - thanks mom-in-law!} and Kelly Deck, our local Canadian design superstar!

I never imagined that I would go from 1 follower to 627!!!

I never imagined that I would so enjoy blogging and all the personal satisfaction that it brings.
Not only am I a mom, wife, sister, daughter, friend and teacher but I am me. 

And it is through this blog I can find that piece of me and the joy that it brings.

This blog is mine :) 

What I want to say to you, my wonderful followers and friends, thank-you for reading my blog for these past 2 years. You have no idea how much your loyalty, comments and friendship mean to me.


I am sending you all big huge hugs and a huge smooch.

Have a wonderful long weekend.

Next week I have an amazing giveaway to celebrate!

I can't wait to share with you the re-cap of the fabulous blogger soiree, Blend 2011, I helped organize
AND
highlights from IDS West!

XO Barbara



No comments:

Post a Comment