Monday, October 3, 2011

Fall Trends



With fall officially upon us, I find that we start to gravitate towards things that make us feel cozy and warm, through colour, accessories and furnishings that help create that cocoon for the crisp fall days.

Recently Style at Home shared their top 3 trends for fall, starting with...

Trend # One: The New Neutrals

Gone are the days of beige being the only neutral!

 We are embracing neutral greys, whites with a hint of colour and soft pale lavenders, on our walls to create that perfect backdrop.



My go-to neutral has been Stonington Grey by Benjamin Moore, it has created a fabulous backdrop for my teenage daughter's room.



Two: Wood

Wood has been in people's homes for centuries, not only to build our homes but to warm them with kindling, for building furniture and flooring. Wood truly warms up a space, giving our homes that true "down-to-earth" feeling. A classic and enduring material, nothing creates a layer of warmth in our homes better than wood.




Three: Modern Global 

With everyone embracing suzani prints and ikat, we have brought that global vibe into our homes. The modern global channels that earthy and homespun feeling in our homes.  It is that connection with the handmade and craftsmenship that we all so crave, a rebelling against all the cheap "made in China" junk that seem to line the store shelves. Modern global represents the simple yet "rich" look we want to surround ourselves with.




Even my own home, I have touches of modern global.

I have this fabulous ebony bowl that my sister carried all the way from Tanzania for me, which then in turn was carried by my mom from Vancouver to my former home in Virginia. It has such an organic, rustic feel to it. Brings a smile to my face everytime I see it knowing it was made lovingly, carved and polished using nothing but hands. 


What fall trends are you embracing in your home?

XO Barbara

No comments:

Post a Comment