Wednesday, November 18, 2009

~Master Bedroom Makeover~

Living in a rental you need to be creative in your decorating. You want to spend the least amount of cash. I know many of you out there are frugalistas -so you know what I mean.

This house was stuck in the 90's with peach everywhere! The walls were screaming, begging to be painted. What is a girl to do but to painted the peach out of our master bedroom.  I chose a beautiful soothing gray-blue called Gray Whisp from Benjamin Moore. Living on the west coast where it rains alot my husband was skeptical but I love it! It is a soothing calming colour that just works wonderfully with the cream bedding and the  mostly white furniture. Every time I walk the colour makes me smile.

The armchair was an ugly 70's armchair from my childhood, you can seen more details here. I usually like dark colours but chose the light coloured dressers from Ikea (I would love some custom ones - one day). The bed frame was an Ikea as-is find for only $100 which I have had for about 6 years.  My dream is to have an upholstered headboard but can't justify that right now. Maybe I can slipcover it somehow, hmm...

~before~

~after~






~this is what our room really looks like - my hubby is a bit bike obsessed - bikes everywhere~

~I do love this print though - the Tour de France in the 20's~

The prints are family photos and a poster in frames from Ikea, Target and a yard sale. Above the bed are photos a friend took of my husband and I when we were still in college. I am looking for more prints to hang up. I have been inspired by the bare branches of the trees against the gray sky. One day when it stops raining I want to play with the camera.

The curtains were 4 panels from Linens and Things. They worked beautifully in my old house in Virginia where you have long rectangular colonial style windows. They needed to fit this wide arched window so I sewed them together, lined them and made pinch pleats. Now they look custom! I am going to show how I made them in a future post. Stay tuned...

The throw pillows are Victoria Hagen from Target in the clearance bin for $5! The lumbar pillow from Homegoods for $15. The bedding I made from sheets my mom gave to me for Christmas one year. Love the crumpled look. I used what I had and a can of paint!

Linking up to some of my favourite blogs:
 Transformation Thursday at The Shabby Chic Cottage
and to Frugal Friday at The Shabby Nest
and to Between Naps on the Porch Metamorphosis Monday
and DIY Day at A Soft Place to Land

No comments:

Post a Comment