Monday, November 9, 2009

~Slipcovered Armchair~

I love slipcovers. They are a great way to transform a piece of not-so-pretty furniture. This armchair was part of a set that my parents bought in the 70's. Even after 30 years the upholstery and structure has held up. I loved this chair as a child so when my parents were disposing of the set years ago I snapped this piece up. It sat in its original snot green upholstery for so long until my husband gave me an ultimatum - recover it or out to the dumpster it goes. At that time I had about 3 chairs sitting in the basement waiting for me to make them over. I am a bit of a procrastinator. I have a hard time deciding on colours, fabrics, etc. There  are always too many options. We were moving to the US and he didn't want to be carting around junk (those were his words - not mine - I see a diamond in the rough). 


~before~

I went out an got some decorator's canvas and slipcovered the old 70's armchair. This was before my blogging days so no step-by-step photos. It is quite easy though. You measure each part of the chair, cut out a square of fabric, pin the pieces together with wrong side of fabric facing out (I use safety pins), lightly draw in pencil the stitching line and then sew! 


~after~

I realize that after looking at your room through a photo you notice things like the jumble of cords in the corner and our wedding photo that I thought I hung low enough still looks too high!

This post is attending:
Metamorphosis Monday at Naps Between the Porch
 DIY Day @A Soft Place to Land
Transformation Thursday at the Shabby Chic Cottage

and The DIY Showoff
*edited December 19th: Miss Mustard Seed Furniture Feature Friday
*edited May 29th: Funky Junk's SNS

No comments:

Post a Comment