Tuesday, November 3, 2009

~Simple (and Cheap) Coat Hook Rack~



   Since my son can't be bothered to hang up his sweatshirts in his closet I decided to make him a row of coat hooks mounted to wood to hang behind his door. I was at the local hardware store and came across a bin of free bits of lumber. I can't resist anything free so I grabbed a few pieces that would be handy for future projects. I had some coat hooks that I purchased at Ikea about a year ago and had yet to use. Since my husband won't show me how to use the power saw (he is afraid I might cut off my fingers - I think he may be onto something!) I had to use the handy dandy hand saw.



I measured my length - you can customize to whatever length suits you.

I sanded the edges smooth with my hand dandy sanding block.

Next step is to prime. I used a spray on primer - quick and easy. Dried within an hour and ready for paint!

I used Benjamin Moore's Aura Paint (Caliente is the colour - low VOC, no odour and dries in 1 hour)
I am definitely promoting them because they give me such an amazing discount (I am in there all the time - I love colour and am always grabbing paint swatches)
I sanded the edges to rough it up a bit.

Then I drilled holes (only power tool I know how to use!) for the screws to mount onto the wall. 

Using special drywall screws I mounted the rack onto the wall. The screw will be covered up with a hook.

Ta-da!
Now I hope I won't find his sweatshirts and hats all over the floor!


Linking to:
Kimba's Place at A Soft Place to Land

and
Thrift Decor Chick's

and
Today's Creative Blog

and




*January 9, 2010


No comments:

Post a Comment