Thursday, February 3, 2011

{thrift store chair: update}


Here is the status of my thrift store chair I shared with you over a week ago.

The bottom seat is finally recovered but not without a few glitches along the way. 


I had the whole seat recovered and then I watched some very useful videos sent to me by:



Marriah said...

It looks like you might have already started on your chair, but I've recently taken on my own chair re-upholstery project. I have deconstructed it to find broken old springs in the seat. In my search to find replacement springs, I found this website with wonderful supplies that seem to be very competitive price-wise. The gem though is the links to the youtube videos of the owner (45 years in the upholstery business)of each step in the process -- i think 13 videos in all. Here's the link: http://www.diyupholsterysupply.com/how-to-upholster-chair.html 
Good luck!

After watching the first 2 videos {very informative} I realized - I forgot to put a layer of Dacron {batting} between the foam and the fabric! 

So out went all the staples and I cut a piece of batting that I went out to buy, layered it under my fabric piece and stapled it back on.

Much better!
The batting gives the fabric a way smoother finish, a step not to be missed.
Now onto the back piece, that will be really tricky. 

My dilemma: 
I would like to finish the bottom off with some nail heads, should I just use a few like this photo? 

Or run nailhead trim along the whole bottom edge?

Don't forget you have until Sunday to enter my giveaway for a $45 gift certificate to CSN!

No comments:

Post a Comment