Sunday, July 17, 2011

So Canadian eh? : Tommy Smythe


I am beyond giddy about this week's guest!!

He really doesn't need much introduction. Known for his signature glasses and wit, he has worked alongside another fabulously amazing Canadian designer to create drool worthy spaces. 

Please welcome.........


Tommy Smythe, 


YES, 

THE Tommy Smythe!

He is


Who doesn't know Tommy? He has worked alongside his design partner-in-crime, the fabulous Sarah Richardson ! I love watching the two work together,  their shopping escapades and design quandaries are always so entertaining. His remarks and comments always make me laugh. Not only does he possess wit and charm but has such impeccable taste.
 What is not to love?

I have gushed about his amazing design talent here and here. He is the design genius behind my all time favourite kitchen. I love his sense of style and talent for mixing classic pieces, high and low pieces and adding a dash of whimsy to create an elegant timeless space. 

In addition to his TV role he also contributes to Style at Home magazine each month,  sharing us his must-haves, favourites and design tips. 

I am envious of those lucky Canadian design bloggers wa-a-a-y on the other side of Canada, who had the opportunity to meet him when he came to speak at their recent meet-up. Well, wouldn't you know it, we on the west are planning a meet-up as well in September. 
Hmmm....


Tommy, we love you too - **wink, wink, nudge, nudge**


Tommy is one of my favourite designers. I think he would fabulous to work with, there would be so much you could learn, sigh...maybe in another life.

Each space he decorates and styles is always a hit with me. My all-time favourite kitchen, one that has circulated around the net, is a Tommy Smythe original. 


Isn't it gorgeous?

source

More of his amazingly decorated spaces.













What is your background? Your education? Have you always wanted to be a designer?

Like a lot of people, I didn't know what I wanted to do until I was well into my 20s.  I always had an aptitude for creating beautiful surroundings for myself, but hadn't really considered it as a career until a little later on in life.  I briefly considered enrolling in design school but after consulting a few industry veterans I decided to just get started.  I actively sought out and developed friendships with like-minded designers who could mentor and guide me while I soaked up every bit of knowledge I could get.  
My grandmother was a designer and had 5 homes while I grew up, so the constantly changing environments of my childhood were a major influence as well.

Who would you say is your greatest influence/mentor when it comes to design?

I have many!  The great American designers of the 20th century have been a huge influence - Dorothy Draper, Sister Parish, Albert Hadley, Billy Baldwin and Mark Hampton to name a few.  My great Canadian design mentor was the late, great J.S. Manuel.  He guided my early career and was like a grandfather to me.  I still miss his guidance and his presence in my life.  Thomas O'Brien is also a very supportive and dear friend.  Sarah is a major source of inspiration and has been a compass for me in my work and in my life for 10 years now.

What did you do before you joined Sarah Richardson as her witty and fabulous co-host?

Good question!  I can hardly remember a time when we weren't cavorting around together...BUT there is always a past, isn't there dahling!!
I was a bus boy and waiter for many years prior to my foray into the world of design (and later design TV) - I'm very proud of that work and experience.  We are in the service industry - no matter how exciting and glamorous we consider our work to be - and my restaurant training is called upon on a daily basis in this work.  Managing expectations, needs, making people feel special and taken care of are all part of it.  I think restaurant training should be mandatory in our culture (like French military service!).

Where do you go for inspiration for your designs? What would you say is your design “style”?

Travel is a constant source of inspiration!  As for my design approach...I don't consider a room complete until it has the right balance of vintage and modern elements.  Trends and whimsy are never really a focus - I'm mostly after a feeling of timelessness and elegance and gracious living.  Rooms should feel as though the furniture and art within them have been collected over time and curated with a sense of personal history.

If you could meet anyone, (or maybe you already have!) who would it be?

I would love to meet Albert Hadley - I think he is the greatest living interior designer.  He has also LIVED an amazing life.  I want to be him when I grow up!

What can homeowners do to their homes to get the most bang for their buck?

The only way to decorate inexpensively and WELL is to be patient.  Wait for the right thing...search the markets and garage sales for the BEST stuff at low prices...visit auctions.  I truly believe there's no easy or quick fix, but I also know from experience that slow and steady wins the race!

If one were to purchase an investment piece for their home, what would you recommend?

Buy the best art you can afford.  Nothing makes a more personal statement or brings as much long-term enjoyment as artwork.

What is one décor faux pas that makes you cringe?

Oh my!  There are so many!  I guess one of the worst and most common mistakes has to do with scale of furnishings.  Everyone seems to buy into the 'bigger is better' philosophy.  If you scale things to the size of the room you're designing, the furniture will look so much better and the room will actually FUNCTION.  I can't tell you how many living rooms I've encountered with two GIGANTIC chairs in them and nothing else.  Not good peeps.

What tips do you have for aspiring designers?

Work really hard.  Care about making home beautiful and functional for the people who live there - not you.  publish your work wherever and whenever possible - the world needs to share in your creativity!

What do you like to do in your free time?

Travel (when I can afford it - boy is it getting expensive to be me these days!) and reading are my favorite activities.  My family is a really big part of my after work life too.  I have three sisters and two nieces and a nephew as well as amazing and supportive parents - they all keep me pretty busy when I'm not flying somewhere. (reading this answer back, I'm noticing I don't mention dating anywhere...this is a problem! lol).

What are your aspirations for the future?

I have so many - I would love to do a book someday, a line of furniture, fabrics, lighting - I have a lot of ideas.  I've always wanted to have a shop too.  But that's my semi-retirement plan, so not for a while (let's hope!).

As a Canadian designer, do you think you have a uniquely "Canadian" perspective when it comes to your designs? What are your views on the role Canadian design plays in the world design scene

The work of Canadian designers is absolutely on the world stage now.  I think we bring a unique perspective and point of view.  If you examine our culture and experience as a Nation - we bring influences from England, France, The U.S. and just about anywhere else you can think of.  Toss it all into the salad and you've got Canadian Design.  It's an eclectic mix, but when done right; isn't that everyone's favorite design style?  It sure is mine!




Tommy, you have no idea how thrilled I am that you were willing to be interviewed for my So Canadian, eh? series. I am truly honoured to have you here! You are an inspiration to us all! If you ever need a sidekick for your own design show, er...well..I can be funny too {and love to shop as well} 
{Did I just say that out loud?}

XO Barbara

No comments:

Post a Comment