Tuesday, September 28, 2010

~An Art Wall~


As many of you know I have been

s-l-o-w-l-y 

re-doing my eldest daughter's room
 {I am beginning to sound like a broken record
But I have run out of steam, my budget is limited (or non-existent?) and time is not on my side.

So.....
All the materials for the headboard are ready to go, but since I have a saw phobia I am waiting for the husband to help cut the plywood that is collecting dust in the garage. 


Hopefully this weekend after my daughter's 16th birthday party has passed and I can breathe a sigh of relief, I can sweet talk the husband to plug in the saw and help :)

BUT......
One project I ACTUALLY accomplished was putting together an art wall for her room. Being a typical teenager she loves to surround herself with photos. 

What a perfect way to display her photos and other artwork than to create a gallery wall that is so in vogue.


Using a collection of spray painted thrift store frames, a mirrorpainted canvases by moi, Ikea frames and monograms, I created a gallery of sorts along her bed that she can add to along the way.


"How did I do it?," you ask with bated breath.


Well....
To create a galley wall that reduces the amount of nail holes, you start by laying out the frames and arranging them on the floor until you have come up with an arrangement you like. 
{This is where I forgot to take a photo}

Next trace each frame, canvas or mirror onto kraft paper. You can use newspaper or a roll of   gift wrap as an alternative.

Start taping each piece on the wall, fiddling with the paper until you are satisfied with the look. I use a level and yard stick as well to make sure I have things lined up.


 Step back to  see if the arrangement is to your liking


Start hanging up the art work, one piece at a time.

{This was a photo taken of my daughter by her friend in a photography class}


Once finished....
Stand back and enjoy! 

I also added small little plastic dots on the bottom corners inside of each frame so they would "stick" to the wall and not shift.







I am thrilled with how the wall turned out. Now onto the headboard.....

Wish me luck.



No comments:

Post a Comment