Friday, October 23, 2009

Simple art idea~


I love shadow boxes. They are a great way to display mementos and keepsakes. Even the most unusual objects, things you would never think to display can make great art. I think anything that is special to you makes beautiful art.
We LOVED living in Virginia (if you read older posts and stay with this blog you will find I go on and on about it....bear with me - it was such a wonderful experience for us) .......Back to this post.
I kept our license plates from Virginia and wanted to somehow incorporate them into our decor. I found this shadow box at Homesense (Homegoods in the US) that was perfect. I bought two because I have more than one plate to display. All I did was add sticky velcro to the back and to the fabric backing and voila - a great piece of art!



Now it is in my laundry room! I am going to hang another in my son's room!

Another one I did - sticking to the Virginia theme (you can insert your yawn here) is with a nail we got from the blacksmith at the museum from Jamestown, Virginia. It is the birthplace of North America (a little history lesson, just in case you didn't know). I just hot glued the nail to a piece of card stock. In the lower corner wrote where it was from and then just assembled the whole thing together. It hangs right by my front door. It is a great conversation starter when people come over for a visit!





Simple yet beautiful!

I am linking up with the Inspired Room - Beautiful Friday
**edited as of Oct 26 I am linking up with DIY Day at a  Soft Place to Land
and The Shabby Chic Cottage

No comments:

Post a Comment